Do you know that new smart technologies and smart gadgets can help you lower your homeowner’s insurance premium?
Nowadays, insurance companies are providing incentives for persons with a home equipped with smart home technologies by lowering the insurance premium that they have to pay. Other insurance providers even subsidize the costs of the installation of the smart devices in the home. As such, not only can these new smart gadgets provide protection and convenience in your home — but they can also lower your insurance premium allowing you to save a huge amount of money at the end of the day!
You might be asking now: why would these insurance companies give incentives for installing smart devices in my home? The simple answer to this question is that — smart home technologies lower the risks for the insurance companies and makes the calculation of insurance premiums easier for them. In addition to this, insurance companies can rely on the data recorded by the smart devices which is useful during the insurance claim process.
So what exactly are these new technologies and smart devices that can reduce your insurance premium and at the same time secure your home from property damage?
What is Smart Home Technology?
Smart home technology refers to devices that can be connected to the internet and controlled remotely through a smartphone or other mobile devices allowing you to monitor your home even if you are far away.
The smart home security system is composed of different devices such as the following: smart CCTV, smart doorbell, smart door lock, timed lighting, smart glass break detector, and others. These gadgets prevent the risks of security breaches, burglaries, and break-ins in your home. They ensure 24/7 protection and surveillance around the perimeter of your house and even inside it. The best thing about these smart home security devices is their feature which allows you to access and control them even if you are outside of your house as long as you have a smartphone or a tablet connected to the internet.
Let us look more closely into these home security devices that can help you protect your home and even lower your insurance premium!
- Smart CCTV or a smart security camera – like the usual surveillance camera, this device records and captures video. But, unlike the normal CCTV, this device can be connected to the internet. As a result, it allows its users to monitor what is happening around the house at any time even if they are far away by simply accessing the dedicated app on their mobile devices. This smart gadget can give you peace of mind that your house is safe and secure even if you are away at work or enjoying an out-of-town vacation with your family.
- Smart doorbell – while this device functions as the ordinary doorbells in the market, its distinguishing feature is the fact that it can be accessed remotely through the internet. As such, if someone rings the smart doorbell in your home — you will immediately receive a notification on your smartphone or tablet. In addition to this, a smart doorbell is also equipped with a camera that records anyone near it. This feature allows you to monitor and record any suspicious behavior or even catch a package thief. In this way, you will know if anyone is snooping around your front door even if you are away from your house.
- Smart glass break sensor – this is a smart home device that specifically safeguards your home from burglary, house break-in, and intrusion from strangers. This device is equipped with a sensor and an alarm system that is connected to the internet. So if it detects a shockwave coming from glass shattering, it will immediately report the incident to your smartphone. This device is especially recommended in homes that have a lot of glass windows.
Detection and Damage Control Devices
As the famous saying goes “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Detection and damage control devices function as your first line of defense against fire, flooding, and other disasters that can cause significant damage to your home. These devices can give you an immediate notification once it detects any smoke or leak in your house. As a result, you will have the much-needed time to remedy the problem or evacuate before things get worse. While installing these home systems is certainly not cheap, it is a worthwhile investment that can benefit you and your loved ones in the long run.
Here are some of the detection and damage control devices that you can incorporate in your house:
- Smart Smoke Detectors – this device detects the presence of smoke within your house. Once it detects smoke, the device will immediately alert the user by sounding an alarm allowing you to potentially put out the fire before it gets big. In addition to this, you will also receive a notification on your smartphone or electronic device. Some detectors even have the capability to send an alert to your local fire department.
- Smart Carbon Monoxide Detector – carbon monoxide can be compared to a silent killer since it is toxic, odorless, and colorless. In fact, you can’t even see since it is essentially a gas. Carbon monoxide can come from your daily household appliances like charcoal grills, gas fires, central heating systems, water heaters, or even a running car engine in your garage. Extended exposure to this gas can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning which can cause dizziness, flu-like symptoms and it can even result in one’s death if not treated. One of the best ways of detecting this poisonous gas is through a smart carbon monoxide detector. This device monitors the presence of carbon monoxide inside your home. Once it detects a significant presence of carbon monoxide in your house it will immediately alert you through an alarm and even send a notification to your smartphone.
- Smart Fire Sprinkler – a lot of apartment units and buildings are equipped with an ordinary fire sprinkler since they are an effective way to prevent the spread of fire and minimize property damage. Ordinary fire sprinklers spray water aimlessly even in areas that are not on fire. This causes huge water wastage and even damages personal properties inside your home. A smart fire sprinkler solves this problem since it is equipped with a mobile infrared sensor which allows the device to detect the exact location of the fire. After detecting the specific area in the house with the hottest temperature, the smart sprinkler system shall spray water in that area allowing a concentrated response to the fire.
- Smart Leak Detector – this device detects water leaks in the house and sends notifications remotely through the user’s smartphone. The more advanced smart leak detectors are even equipped with a water shut-off feature that automatically closes the water source in order to prevent water damage and flooding in your house.
So, if you want to protect your home from risks and at the same time want to save money — you should consider installing any of these smart home devices. While smart home devices and their cost of installation may be quite pricey, you can consider it as an investment that can result in a huge return in the future.
Other Benefits of Smart Home Tech
Apart from lower insurance premiums or discounts that you get for installing smart home technology in your home. Another benefit is that the process of insurance claims would be easier and faster. Since your smart home device can provide useful data and even provide evidence of the loss or damage in your house. This enables the faster assessment and payment of your insurance claim.
Take note that each insurance provider offers different incentives and discounts to its clients. Some insurance companies give huge discounts on the monthly insurance premium while others provide a discount or even a rebate if you buy a smart device. In addition to this, they can even offer a free installation of smart devices in your home.
So if your home is equipped with a smart home device or planning to install one in your house, you should consult and negotiate with various insurance providers in your area in order to get the best deal. This way can save money and make the most out of your smart home device.
There are numerous ways of lowering your homeowner’s insurance premium. One way of doing so is by installing smart home devices. Nowadays, there are different smart home devices available in the market ranging from smart home security systems to smart detection and damage control devices. While each smart device performs different functions — at the end of the day they only have one goal and that is to protect your home from risks and property damage. That is why a lot of insurance companies provide huge incentives to homeowners with smart home technology. Since smart devices lower the risks of damage that insurance, providers have to carry and even make the insurance claim process easier.
Do you want to know more about the different home insurance policies available?
We are here to help! Our friendly and reliable home insurance experts can help you find the best home insurance policy in Denver, Colorado (or any other state) that is the best value and fits your needs. Start your insurance journey by giving us a call toll-free today at (855) 973-1202 or (855) 712-6584!