The end of the long winter season only means one thing! It is the start of the long-awaited summer when you can finally relax in your own pool with your family. But before any of that, you have to set up your pool first which honestly takes a lot of time and effort. Although, it may seem like a tiring task to do — setting up your pool just in time for summer would all be worth it in the end. Here are some tips so that you can also enjoy your pool.
To get you started, here are some tips to help you get your pool ready for the summer so you can also enjoy your pool.
Take off the Pool Cover and Safely Keep it
During the off-season, your pool must have been neglected and exposed to the harsh environment. So, the first thing that you must do is to remove the pool cover and safely store it in a secure place. In doing this, you may ask for the help of other people since uncovering the pool might be a tiring task for one person.
- Since your pool was left alone for quite some time during the winter season. A lot of water and dirt must have built up on top of your pool cover which would make it difficult to move. So make sure that you remove as much dirt and water in your pool cover before trying to take it off. In doing this, you can use a sump pump or simple siphon for water removal, if needed. But, if you can’t get rid of all the dirt, try to remove the pool cover in a way that the dirt would not fall into the pool.
- Ask the help of two or more people to remove the pool cover. Since a lot of pool covers are already heavy, even if you already removed the dirt or water sitting on them.
- After removing the cover, it is important for you to safely store it properly so that you can use it again after the summer season. To avoid damage to your pool cover, patiently clean, fold, and store the pool cover properly. Take note that you must first, lay the cover flat on the ground so that it can dry before folding it. After this, sprinkle talcum powder on the pool cover to prevent any mold and mildew. Finally, fold the cover loosely and keep it safe to avoid any tears. Make sure to store it in a cool and dry place to prevent any damage.
Examine, Re-attach and Reconnect all the Pool Parts and Equipment
Now that you have taken off the pool cover and safely stored it. It is now time to focus on the pool itself. As a safety precaution, you must first thoroughly examine the pool together with all its equipment. In doing this task, it is better to call a professional to do this work to avoid any accidents. In conducting the inspection, check the circuits and electrical components of your pool filter, pump, and heater to make sure that they are in good condition and are protected by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs).
Also, examine the following pool equipment:
- Now that the weather is gradually warming up. Make sure to remove your pool’s winterizing plugs which are also commonly known as freeze plugs, expansion plugs, or gizmos. These instruments prevent your pool plumbing from getting freeze damage during wintertime. But, as summer comes you must remove them and put in its place the correct drain, filter, and heater plugs.
- Make sure that your anti-entrapment covers are securely attached. In addition to this, don’t forget to clean and install the drains.
- Check, polish, and re-install all the pool equipment including the: pump, filter, pump heater, and automatic pool cleaner. Ensure that there are no leaks, specifically in the filter.
- Examine the pool liner to make sure that there are no rips, tears, or signs of wear. If you see one, you must do the necessary repairs first. However, if it is heavily damaged — it might be the right time to replace it.
Keep on reading…
After doing these safety checks and fixing any issues in your pool. It is now time to fill the pool with water. In filling up the pool, ensure that you put the appropriate water level so that the pool filter and drains can work properly. After doing so, you can now start the filter. Don’t forget to observe the pool to make sure that the filter is working properly.
- If you have pool accessories like ladders and rails, clean them properly and put silicone lubricant on their O-rings, bolts, or screws before installing them. For extra precaution, double-check all electrical components and accessories to make sure everything is securely connected and attached after installation.
Water time to Enjoy your Pool
This part might seem intimidating at first since balancing the pH and chlorine levels in your pool water can be quite tricky. So, you must not hesitate to ask for help from people who are knowledgeable about the required water chemistry to get it right. Finally, test your water by getting an expert pool professional. You need to fine-tune the chemical levels in your level before diving in.
Do these additional steps in preparing your pool for the summer:
- Clean the pool by using a brush and vacuum. You can start in the shallow portion of the pool and gradually proceed to its deep part.
- Take out dirt or any foreign objects from your pool water.
- Safely put away all the pool chemicals from the pool area. Make sure that you use, handle and store the chemicals by the instructions provided by the manufacturer which you can usually see on the product label.
- To ensure that the pool circulation and filtration systems are all working properly, let them operate overnight.
In addition to these tips, you must also be aware of the regulations regarding pool fencing and signage in your state. You can research on the internet about this to properly follow the state regulations.
Secure the Perimeter to Enjoy Your Pool
Owning a pool means that you can do a lot of fun activities with your loved ones. But, you also have to observe safety precautions to protect your family and friends from any untoward incidents. Taking a dip in the pool would be more enjoyable knowing that your pool is equipped with the right safety equipment that would prevent any dangerous slips and falls.
Here are some important tips to secure your pool area:
- Inspect the fences, gates, and other equipment around your pool area. Make sure that they are working properly and can be closed and locked securely to control access to the pool. This is important to avoid any potential accidents.
- Ensure that the walkways and decking are clean and dry to prevent slips and falls. If there are any loose boards, slippery surfaces, and protruding nails — repair them as soon as possible.
- Make sure that the pool accessories like chairs, tables, and umbrellas are clean and sturdy.
- For additional safety, don’t forget to put safety signage and pool rules in an area that is visible to everyone. In this way, your family together with your guests can be informed about them and take their own safety precautions.
- Enlist the help of a professional pool designer to assess your pool facilities to ensure that they are in good condition and meet the safety requirements. Specifically, inspect your diving boards, slides, and drain entrapment hazards.
Make sure to do all the necessary repairs before the summertime comes! So you and your family can enjoy the pool safely without any worries.
Get Extra Protection
You can also secure your house and pool by getting good Home Insurance.
This insurance policy even covers facilities that are not attached to your own house but are within your residential premises. This is possible through the so-called “Structure Coverage” which is present in a standard home insurance policy. Structures’ coverage has a limit of a maximum of 10% of the dwelling portion of your homeowner’s insurance policy.
Your swimming pool, fence, guesthouse, and detached garage may all be covered under the Home Insurance policy.
Home insurance can provide extra protection for your swimming pool since it would help you pay the cost of any necessary repairs or replacements. So, every summertime you don’t have to worry about where to get the funds to fix your pool.
With Advantage Insurance Solutions, you can create your very own Home Insurance that fits your needs.
We hope you learned a lot regarding preparing for the summer so you can also enjoy your pool. Secure your home today! To know more about Home Insurance, contact Advantage Insurance Solutions. We will be with you every step of the way in customizing the best home insurance plan that will meet the specific needs of your family. Our excellent insurance professionals will provide you with the best insurance coverage that will minimize risks to your family. Secure the future of your family today by exploring the different budget-friendly Home Insurance options compatible with your unique needs with Advantage Insurance Solutions here in Denver, CO.