The 4th of July is just around the corner. We may not be able to celebrate it the way we used to but there are still so many ways to celebrate the declaration of our independence day this 2022. Usually, Americans celebrate this special day with apple pies, barbecue grills, beer, and a lot of sparklers. The bigger your fireworks the better. So, let’s prepare some fireworks safety tips to welcome our independence day.
Read along for more information or contact us now!
Today, it is best to keep everything safe and celebrations small. This does not really mean that we cannot celebrate. We can still sing “America the Beautiful”, we just need to be extra careful in celebrating our country’s 4th of July 2022.
Did you know that according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission; we have a lot of fire-related accidents?
According to their annual report back 2019:
Death and Injuries:
- CPSC or Consumer Product Safety Commission team was able to get a total of 12 non-occupational, and firework-related accidents causing death last 2019. Seven of these are due to incorrect usage of the fireworks and 2 counts of death due to the firework device not working or ignited late. 3 reports are due to unknown circumstances. Bear in mind that the reports collected last 2019 were not all reported and were incomplete. 7 deaths are the minimum in comparison to the previous years.
- An estimated 10,000 injuries were treated in emergency rooms in North American hospitals during the calendar year of 2019. The average rate of firework-related injuries across the United States is 31.1 per 100,000 people.
- However, there is no remarkable increase or decrease in emergencies reported in the hospital between the years 2004 and 2019.
- A total average of 7,300 firework-related injuries or at least 70% of the total reported incidents were all treated in the U.S. hospital emergency department during the 1 month special study period between the last week of June to the 3rd week of July, covering, course, the 4th of July. That numbers were between 4,700 to 9,900 reports.
- To avoid these deaths and injuries, call or text us for a quote.
For more details, please review their annual report here.
Fourth of July Common Injuries
Always remember that the most frequently injured part of your body affected by fireworks are your hands, neck, and eyes. Cuts, bruises, and bumps are common to happen in these cases. But, most are burned even by the small innocent-looking firecracker.
- Hand Burns – the most common part of the body that obtains injuries from firecrackers
- Eye Injuries
- Hand Fractures and Lacerations
- Facial Injuries
- Loss of Finger
- Hearing Loss
Safety First! Fireworks Safety Tips!
What happens when I cause a fire while lighting fireworks? It can possibly lead to steep fines or jail time if you accidentally cause a fire by lighting fireworks. So, read along with this information on how to avoid such accidents. Contact us now for a quote!
Because of all the celebrations, it is very easy to forget safety tips for 2022, especially after a few swigs of your favorite beer or rum. So, we strongly suggest that we do follow safety protocols before everything gets busy. We need to make sure to include safety in ALL of your event planning. You might want to learn how to make fireworks too if you want. Check this out.
House and Fireworks Safety Tips
- Clear your roof gutters. One huge reason for roof fires is that there are dried leaves in your gutters. This is extremely flammable and will cause the fire to spread easily.
- Put water sprinklers in your backyard and front yard. This might sound excessive on water, but when those fire debris hit your grass, you’ll be happy that the water sprinklers are on.
- Remove all dried bushes around your house. Same principle with the dried leaves on your roof gutter. Plus, it will make for a good family photo to see the only fresh bush in the background. Right?
- Water all the trees and bark. Yes, even the barks. Remember those wood chips on your barbecue? Yup… they can catch fire too. So, make sure you wet the tree trunks also.
- Trim the trees, while you’re at it. Roman candles can seem harmless, but the small fireballs that it shoots out can easily hit the tree and cause some damage.
- Have a first aid kit ready that contains items for treating burns and similar firework-related injuries.
- Check your insurance policies about house fires. It is always important to check on your insurance is up to date just in case an accident arises.
Other Safety Tips 2022:
- Never light up any sparklers and fireworks inside your house. (I know, it may sound so simple. But the common victims of firecrackers are kids.
- As much as possible, do not allow children to hold any firecrackers. Make sure that they are supervised.
- Some parents consider sparklers to be “safe fireworks. However, they can reach temperatures of 1800 degrees and can easily ignite clothing. Sparklers are a leading cause of firework-related injuries.
- Firework-related injuries often happen when a parent or an adult is present. Therefore, supervision alone is not enough to prevent serious injuries.
- One in four firework-related injuries to children happens to bystanders. Your children can still be injured if they are around people who are using fireworks.
- Teach your children the dangers of fireworks.
- We suggest enjoying fireworks through the public display by trained professionals.
- Also, prepare your dogs for safety from the fireworks. They will be scared of it. You might want to check this out for more information on how to calm your pets.
- Call us now for a quote!
With all this information, it’s clear to see why it’s always better to be prepared for such incidents not just for personal usage but more so for your house. It is always good to check what kind of insurance is available for you and your house.
It is important to bear in mind that these safety tips in 2022 should be your priority. There are more reasons to celebrate and more 4th of July to come.
Celebration is always fun and festive, but never forget the true reason why we celebrate the 4th of July. It is that day when we claimed our independence.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness…”
Interested to know more? Contact us now.
Learn about Fireworks
You might want to avail yourself of this tutorial on fireworks so you will be prepared for Independence day.
Declaration of Independence Day
We hope you learned a lot about some fireworks safety tips. If you’re looking for a good independent agent that is familiar with the products and local area please consider us at Advantage Insurance Solutions here in Denver, CO! We can tailor your coverage to your specific needs, maximize protection and minimize cost and suggest ways that you can adjust your coverage to take advantage of discounts that insurers give for packaged policies.
Reminder: Some of the links in this article are from the Amazon Associate Program. We get an affiliate commission which is used to help Advantage Insurance Solutions continue to help people who want to learn more about home and fire safety.