Keeping Homes Safe From Fire or simply House Fire Prevention.
With all the data we have gathered, we could create a list of the most common causes of house fires. We also formulated tips and tricks that you can try to avoid having house fires in your home. And to protect your assets and everything valuable inside your home. In this article, we will talk about house fire prevention.
We make it easy to compare homeowners insurance quotes so you can find the perfect fit for your home. Get A Quote!
On top of our list of the most common causes of a house fire are the:
- When building a house or buying a home, one of the things you should consider is electric wiring and sockets. Homeowners should always ensure that the sockets are correctly grounded. You should also look after cable cords for your devices or appliances to avoid further damage to the house.
- Be mindful of where you place your carpets and rugs. Suppose a wiring problem or power outlet problem happens. In that case, carpets and rugs can be a significant factor in quickly spreading the fire.
- Do not overuse your extension cords. Using multiple extension cords and overloading them could cause a house fire. It would not hurt to know or learn about your house’s and gadgets’ electrical systems. Again, you can always turn to a professional if you need help with anything.
- You might also want to avail this tutorial on avoiding faulty wiring.
- Contact us now at (720) 221-8168 to know more about this!
Faulty Wiring and Worn Out Sockets
- Take time to learn about surge protectors and power strips. Knowing the difference between these two would help you choose which is best for you. And, it would be beneficial if you have either this or power strips in your home to protect your assets and the house itself from house fires.
- A power strip is an extension of a wall outlet with an on-and-off switch. Power strips do not offer that much electrical protection. If you opt for more protection against power spikes, you should get a surge protector or surge suppressor. It is also relatively cheap, though it costs more than a power strip.
- It is better to get a surge suppressor with a lifetime warranty because this would only mean that your surge protector will likely work as a circuit breaker. Surge protectors are in Joules and the more Joules that a surge protector has, the better. This could help you cut off power in a surge and will not wear out as time goes by.
- Have a chat with us now so you could learn more about this.
Carelessness in the Kitchen May Also Lead to House Fire (Some more things to take note of regarding House Fire Prevention)
- Cleaning your kitchen makes it safe to eat and sanitary. Getting rid of any food residue, food splatter, and grease can lower your chances of starting a fire when you cook again. Shutting off cooking appliances could also help you minimize the other fire cause in your kitchen.
- You could cook quickly without worrying that your clothes or accessories might dip into this. As much as possible, try to child-proof your kitchen. Children can be so curious that they would start to turn knobs for water or whatever they see. It would be dangerous if they could reach hazardous kitchen equipment.
- The Internet is your friend. Almost everything is on the Internet. And, it would not take too much of your time to browse the Internet and search for more ways to prevent cooking house fires. It would also be more helpful if you also searched not just how to avoid it. But also what to do when something happens to minimize the fire. Or prevent it from spreading even further inside your house.
- To avoid all of these incidents, don’t hesitate to contact us now!
Another Common Source of House Fires Are Clothes Dryers (Another way of house fire prevention)
- Always remember that dryer vents are a fire hazard. Almost 20,000 cases of house fires are due to dryer vent fires per year. Always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer regarding installation instructions. If you hesitate or are not confident that you can follow the installation instructions by the book, hiring a professional would be the best choice.
- Most of these house fires are due to dryer vents. Some common sign that your dryer vent needs cleaning is if there is an unpleasant smell coming out of it or if your clothes after washing. As tackled in the first bullet, this could be because of the faulty installation.
- Speaking of lint traps, aside from the dryer vent, also clean out the lint trap itself. It could clog up too much dirt. And this build-up could get caught up in the heating elements or parts of the dryer vent that passes out the exhaust. And causing more fire accidents.
- After clearing up the lint trap, make sure to clean out the areas near it too. There would always be parts of your dryer vent that would heat up while operating or as time goes by. Ensure that nothing will get caught up in it to prevent house fires. Clearing out rags, articles of clothing or anything flammable is one step in protecting your dryer vent and home from house fires. You must take note of all of these for house fire prevention.
Alternative Heating Sources May Also Cause House Fires (Another way for House Fire Prevention)
- As much as possible, use up-to-date space heaters. There are specific space heaters nowadays with more features and more suitable safety measures than the old ones. It would be better to purchase. If not the latest, something newer like this could be added protection to your home and add value to your house. Always look at the safety standards of the space heater that you will purchase. And make sure to pay attention to the safety measures that come with it.
- After buying the space heater, plan where you will place it. It is not advisable to put it just elsewhere. Ensure that it is not near anything that could ignite easily, such as curtains, bedding, furniture, paper, or flammable liquids. A tiny spark from a space heater and another object could cause a bigger fire. So, it would be wise to place it somewhere safe and away from anything flammable. This could worsen if that “something” is near somewhere that could spread the fire quickly when it reaches it.
- Wood stoves and pellet stoves are good alternative heating sources. But, similarly to space heaters, it would also be best to have a professional install them. Do your research on what type of wood stove or pellet stove you are going to get. And, also take note if it is nationally approved and recognized by any testing laboratory.
- These wood or pellet stoves should always come with proof that it is authorized, recognized, and approved by your state or municipality laws. In this way, you are sure that it has already been tested. And proving that nothing is defective and is safe to use. There are ordinances and regulations that you could search for on the Internet regarding wood heaters and pellet stoves.
Dirty Chimneys Also Pose a Fire Hazard
- Dirty chimneys are a threat to your health, and they could also cause fire accidents in your home. Make it a part of your routine to check on your chimneys too. Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) is a certified chimney sweep that takes a look at them annually.
- The CSIA also has online how-tos and other safety reminders and tips for people. As a part of their safety measure, they advise that homeowners use seasoned wood only for the fireplace. It is not good to burn green or damp wood.
- The homeowners storing their (seasoned) wood could also affect their chimney maintenance. The CSIA has provided information on adequately keeping wood. The Institute has specified specific cuts or chunks of wood that would be effective in the fireplace. This is an effective way of using seasoned wood and producing heat when you need it.
- Do not use cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trees, or other trash in the fireplace. These could fly up to the chimney and create chimney sparks and cause house fires. If a chimney fire occurs, it is advised to close the inlet controls of the fireplace or the dampers. This will minimize the air that goes into the chimneys, minimizing the fire’s intensity.
- In Denver, Colorado, Advantage Insurance Solutions is a premier independent insurance company. Count on our staff to help you with insurance. Call (720) 221-8168 or text us right away.
These are the common causes of house fires and how to prevent them. But what would you do if you were not able to stop it? The use, as mentioned earlier, of fire extinguishers is one of the first things that homeowners should do when there is a house fire.
If your home has a fire alarm, never ignore it. And, do not hesitate to get the fire extinguisher and help put out the fire or minimize it. Always make sure that the batteries for your alarms are functioning and that your alarms have no defects. You must take note of these for house fire prevention.
What to do in Case of Fire
If you are in a house fire and your alarms are faulty, you could always scream for help, and your neighbors could hear it. It would alarm them. And they would call the fire department to help you and prevent the spread of the fire through your neighborhood. And if you have your phone with you, contact 911.
Always think of yourself first and your loved ones. Your assets could be insured, and some things in your house could be replaced, but you only have one life, and you need to save it.
Use a damp cloth or handkerchief to cover your nose and mouth to avoid being suffocated by all the smoke.
Also, feel free to also check out how to lower your homeowner’s insurance in case of fire. This is so important to keep you and your whole family safe.
Our Last Say Regarding House Fire Prevention
We hope you learned a lot regarding house fire prevention. It is research-proven that closing the doors “traps” the fire and helps prevent it from spreading even further. Remember the “Stop, Drop, and Roll” instruction during fire drills if your clothes or yourself catch fire. Avoid spreading the fire even more. Crawl and stay low until you get out of the house. Never go back once you are out of the house.
If you need to save something inside, it would be best to call the fire department and tell them to help you get whatever it is.
It is best to protect your home from fire accidents and install protection for your home. Feel free to contact us here at Team AIS in Denver, CO!